Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Poverty and climate


Climate Change is also about poverty. If we can not curb the emission in time (and the window to act is open just for about 7 -8 years from now)we will face more poverty around the world due to changed climate. Today bloggers around the world will bring the subject of poverty to their blogs.
From a faith perspective we must always have the most vulnerable of the world in focus. The most vulnerable to climate change are the poor. Just look what happened in New Orleans, a town in the rich world. Those that suffered most were those who did not have the financial resources or insurances.This is the fact all over the world. Poor people will be the first victims when harvests will not be as it used to be, when water resources will not be there, when flooding s will sweep away their hoses.
Climate change is not just another Green Issue! It is a moral obligation to the people of the world to change. If we should make poverty history we also need to make the fossil society history.

1 comment:

Creitz said...

I found your blog recently and really appreciate your insights. I am confident that we need to do something about climate change. However, I approach the issue differently. I like to offer a different purpose in living environmentally responsible lives. Climate change is one reason...saving money is another...using less fossil fuels is another. But, the main reason I try to live an environmentally responsible life is because of my faith. "Reduce, reuse, recycle" is one of the most theologically terse statements that I've heard and yet it's foreign to our culture (though we hear it a lot). The more I can reduce what I buy, the more I can save to give to the poor. The more I reuse an item, the less stuff I need to buy. The more I can recycle, the less that ends up taking up space in our landfills. Jesus didn't have much and he turned out okay so why can't we? Do we really have to have the newest gas guzzler? Do we really need new shoes when the only reason we are buying them is for fashion? Are we honestly unwilling to take a few extra seconds to fish a piece of paper out of the trash or break down a box because we know it could be recycled? To me, reducing, reusing, and recycling are ways to practice my faith. It is caring for God's creation that we have been entrusted with as stewards. That is the best motivation I can think of for being creation friendly...because God loves the world. Besides, then I don't have to know all the statistics on climate change, square miles taken up by landfills, etc. I just live responsibly because it's responsible and informed by God's Word.

By the way, just so there's no confusion...I am agreeing with you and I place value in what you are saying and think it's vitally important to speak out for issues like this. I'm glad you are doing it. I also like to let people know that the ultimate goal is to magnify the glory of God in His creation by acting as responsible stewards. To me, that is the best motivation.